Practicum Program for VET Students 

The College employs a variety of teaching approaches with a heavy emphasis on learning through practical experience. The College Practicum program is an integral feature of the academic program. Students are able to learn both theory and practice side by side in and through the ministry departments of Hillsong Church. The program includes practical involvement in the daily ministry activities of Hillsong Church and incorporates mentoring, coaching and work placement as part of its scope.

Specialist training

To ensure quality and consistency in practicum training, all specialists must be provided with induction training prior to being assigned a student.

The Practicum induction program ensures that specialists are familiar with:

  • The purpose and focus of work placement
  • How to complete the Practicum Passport
  • How and when to complete the Specialist Feedback Form
  • How to induct students
  • What support is available to them from the Practicum Training Team.

Continue reading “Practicum”

Student Support & Appeals

Academic Support

The course intervention strategy operates on a series of monitoring reporting points throughout a students’ course, with certain actions to be taken at those points depending on the students’ performance and their duration within Interventions. These Points and their corresponding actions are described in the Course Student Support and Monitoring Table.

If a student required academic intervention, an email will be sent to the student notifying that: –

  • They are not meeting course progress requirements.
  • Failing to meet course requirements can jeopardize their enrolment &/or visa.
  • They have been enrolled in a Student Support tutorial, which they must attend on a weekly basis to ensure their continued enrolment &/or visa.

Course Intervention Meeting:-

The student will meet with a tutorial leader assigned to them for the duration of the intervention.  This tutorial leader will be known as a Student Support leader.  The student and tutorial leader will discuss circumstances surrounding students’ difficulty to comply with course progress requirements.  They will both agree on a successful strategy.  This must include the student attending a Student Support Tutorial during the semester.  This tutorial is aimed at assisting the student to build their academic skills in order to successfully complete the course.

Documenting Discussions at Meeting:

Discussions and decisions made at the meeting are documented and placed on the student’s file.  The form is completed by the Student Support Tutorial Leader and is signed by the student. Students will also receive a copy of this form for their own records.

Students will be advised that unsatisfactory course progress, as per the table above, could lead to the student being withdrawn from College, with international students being reported to DIBP and their visa being cancelled, depending on the outcome of any appeals process.

Note: if a student is identified as being at risk of making unsatisfactory course progress before any of the above points, the Intervention Strategy may be implemented early

Course Interventions:

The strategy will include one or more of the following interventions: – [based on the specific needs of the student]:-

  • Advising on the appropriateness of the course
  • Internal or external assistance with language, literacy & numeracy
  • Attendance at counselling sessions with a member of the Student Support Office or appropriate church department (e.g. Pastoral Care)
  • Attendance at additional tutorials or study groups
  • Opportunity for reassessment and/or RPL
  • Mentoring or coaching by their Tutorial Leader
  • Changing tutorials or other classes
  • Referral to an external support agency
  • A combination of the above.

Note: The responsibility for maintaining contact and following through with the intervention strategies remains with the student.

Difficulty to Make Progress and Withdrawal from College

When a student is still unable to meet the minimum course progress requirements after the implementation of the strategy [as per the Course Progress and Student Support Table], a process to withdraw them from the course will be implemented.

The student will be issued a Notice of Pending Breach advised in writing by the Registrar that they are in the process of being withdrawn from the course.  A copy of this Notice is to be kept in the student file. The student will have 20 working days to appeal the decision using the College’s Complaints and Appeals process.

Student Appeals

A student may only appeal the Notice of Pending Breach in the following circumstances:

  • Compassionate or compelling circumstances
  • Failure to record or calculate a students marks accurately
  • Failure to implement the Intervention Strategy or other related policies that have been made available to the student.

Where the student’s appeal is successful, the outcomes may vary according to the findings from the appeals process.

  • If the appeal shows that there was an error in calculation, and the student actually made satisfactory course progress (successfully completed more than 50% of the course assessments for that study period), the student will not be withdrawn from college, and there will be no requirement for intervention.
  • If the appeals process shows that the student has not made satisfactory progress, but there are compassionate or compelling reasons for the lack of progress, ongoing support will be provided to the student through the intervention strategy, and the student will not be withdrawn from college.

The student’s enrolment will be terminated immediately in cases where the student:

  • has chosen not to access the Complaints and Appeals processes within the 20 working day period,
  • withdraws from the process, or
  • the process is completed and results in a decision that the student’s appeal was unsuccessful

For international students, this will include reporting to DIBP via PRISMS by the Admissions Coordinator as soon as possible. This will mean that the international student’s visa will be cancelled.

Student Access to Records

Students may access their personal records at any time using the Student Portal or the Application to Access Student Records form.

Academic Advice

Any guidance a student may require that relates to their program of study, subject enrolment, and graduation requirements can be provided by the tutorial leader.  Appointments can be made through College Reception

 This policy applies only to VET students. Details for HE students is available via the Alphacrucis College website.

International Students

  1. The College supplies accurate and current information to enable a person unfamiliar with the Australian education and training system and living conditions to make an informed decision about the appropriateness of the provider and its courses to the student’s needs.
  2. The College has obtained National registration for international students for its courses.
  3. The College will ensure that staff involved with international students are not only suitably qualified but also sensitive to the culture(s) of the students being taught and will provide for training of such staff as appropriate.
  4. The College informs prospective students of the migration regulations governing international student entry to and stay in Australia. The College informs prospective and enrolled students of any changes to student entry visa conditions, as advised by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) or its equivalent. This information includes advice on visa conditions, work rights, course requirements (including enrolment in a full-time course of study, attendance and academic progress matters), and to maintain adequate arrangements for the education of dependants, and to seek the prior approval of DIBP or its equivalent for certain course changes or before commencing or changing courses.
  5. The College supplies support services particularly pertaining to the special needs of international students (practical, social and academic) throughout the enrolment, arrival and integration phases.
  6. The College notifies the relevant Government authority if a student is no longer participating in a course at an institution for which they were enrolled.
  7. Providers will ensure that the recruitment and placement of international students comply with equal opportunity legislation and are consistent with immigration requirements.

Tax File Number (TFN)

To work in Australia you need to apply for a Tax File Number (TFN). If you do not have an Australian TFN already, simply fill out the form “Tax file number application or enquiry” available at enrolment or from the Australian Taxation Office [ph: 13 2861]. You will need to show proof of identity (this is listed on the form).

To apply, you will need your completed tax file number application and proof of identity (ie. passports, birth certificates etc). You may lodge your application as follows;


Parramatta: Commonwealth Offices, 2/12 Macquarie St

(To get to Parramatta, catch the bus to Seven Hills or Blacktown train station and catch the train to Parramatta. It is then a short walk from the station.)


Overseas Student Health Cover

International students* are required to pay for health cover (Overseas Student Health Cover – OSHC) as a part of visa requirements.  This is paid as a part of the initial fee payment to confirm your place in the course, as outlined in your Offer of Place Letter.

Hillsong College partners with NIB to provide students with OSHC.  The College will set up a policy in your name before you arrive, and your NIB Membership Card will be available for your collection within the first two weeks of the semester

For information on coverage provided, please visit  Please note that all payments need to be made through the College for visa purposes.

* Norwegian, Swedish, and Belgian students may be exempt from OSHC due to a reciprocal arrangement between governments (please ensure that you have written evidence from your own health cover provider to this effect).

Bank Accounts

There are many banks to choose from, and various branches are available within reasonable distances from both the Hills and City campuses. The charges on a bank account can be costly and vary between banks, so find out about these charges before opening an account. It will cost you more if you use an ATM that is not run by your bank (up to $2.00 per transaction). Many banks charge you for taking money out, even from their own machines and tellers. Therefore, try and open a charge-free student account.

To open a bank account, you will need:

  • Passport
  • Commencement letter from college or a valid Student ID card

You must open an account within six weeks of arriving in Australia or else banks will require Australian ID.

International Admissions

International Students

 As an international training institution, the College is well equipped to provide for and international students.

The College has procedures in place that ensures compliance with the ESOS Act 2000.

Admissions Process
The admission of the international students is the responsibility of the Admissions Co-ordinator who also fulfils the responsibilities of the International Student Contact Officer.

  1. Enquiries
    Send out an enquiry pack about Hillsong in response to enquiries by phone or email. This includes the College Prospectus and Hillsong Church information.
    Forward academic enquiries of students to faculty members.
  2. Offer of Place
    Processing of applications.
    Send Offer of Place to successful applicants.
    Arrivals and Accommodation Guide
  3. Arrival
    The arrival of students to the College is facilitated by the Accommodation Team.
    Hills : A shuttle bus is organised to the Hills campus from the airport and new students are met by the Student Housing Co-ordinator and their student team. Students are taken from the College campus to their accommodation and are given practical assistance in the early stages of settling in (e.g. Visit to the supermarket for groceries) from the new student welcome team.
    City: Students catch a taxi from the airport or are encouraged to find suitable transportation from the airport to the College City campus.

Continue reading “International Admissions”

Student Admissions

Student Admissions
Applications for study at the College are processed promptly by the admissions staff with the highest degree of customer service. Applications are not accepted more than one year in advance due to the likelihood of changes in course/fees.

Meeting Entry Requirements
Requirements for entry are clearly outlined in the College marketing material. Prospective students provide full information upon application which includes personal details, Christian life details, educational qualifications (including Year 12 results for Bachelor level students and evidence of satisfactory Academic IELTS score, or similar evidence showing capabilities in the English language for international students of whom English is not their first language), character references (including a Pastoral Reference Form), work history during the last five years, criminal history, medical details including learning difficulties and financial declarations.

This information is then used to complete an Application Checklist by the Admissions Team to ascertain the suitability of the applicant and to detect any potential disabilities or difficulties that may affect their studies. The Pastoral Reference Form is particularly important in this process. Continue reading “Student Admissions”

Under 18s

Under 18 Support

Hillsong College does not actively seek to recruit students under 18 years old. 18 is the minimum age requirement for students entering the course however the college is occasionally approached by individuals meeting all of the other entry requirements.

The College will accept domestic students in Australia who are 17 years of age upon a case by case basis. This is in recognition of the following;

  • Students have finished high school or equivalent within Austrlia
  • Such students are able to apply and enter other tertiary institutions at 17 years of age.

Transfers with other Providers

Transfers to and From Other Providers

 The transfer of international students to and from HC is regulated by ESOS legislation and its corresponding National Code. The College’s policy on this issue falls under two headings:

Transfers to HC from Other Providers
The College will not actively recruit international students from other providers during their first six months of study. The College will not knowingly enrol an international student from another registered training provider prior to the student completing the first six months in their principal course of study with that provider. The only time the College will do this is if:

  • The current provider issues an official letter of release
  • The provider ceases to operate, loses its registration, or is under some government sanction.
  • A government sponsor believes it is in the student’s best interest, and has communicated this in writing.

In cases where an international student who has been studying elsewhere in Australia applies for enrolment, the Admissions officer will check on PRISMS if student has completed six months in principal course.

Continue reading “Transfers with other Providers”

Changing Campuses

Changing Campuses

Students apply using the ‘Change of Enrolment’ form to the College Registrar Department. The College Registrar Department will inform the Campus Managers and stream heads of both campuses. If there is no issue flagged, they will proceed with the change of campus implementation on the CollegeWorx system.

If the student is in college accommodation, then the Accommodation Co-ordinator will be informed, as it needs their release as well.

Availability of Staff to Students

Availability of Staff to Students

Student Support Officer:
All trainers/lecturers take on this role; and are there to connect students to information and services that will assist them to deal with study and personal issues that arise during study.

Part time and full time trainers/lecturers are available for formal and informal meetings at regular times. Students can access faculty during break times or by appointment.

Part-time staff are usually on campus a couple of times a week.

Outside scheduled delivery times, students may contact trainers/lecturers, including part time and casual staff via email to schedule appointments or voice concerns.

In the case where more than one trainer/lecturer has input into the delivery of a subject, there is a co-ordinator who assists students in regards to orientation with the subject and assessment.