Transfers with other Providers

Transfers to and From Other Providers

 The transfer of international students to and from HC is regulated by ESOS legislation and its corresponding National Code. The College’s policy on this issue falls under two headings:

Transfers to HC from Other Providers
The College will not actively recruit international students from other providers during their first six months of study. The College will not knowingly enrol an international student from another registered training provider prior to the student completing the first six months in their principal course of study with that provider. The only time the College will do this is if:

  • The current provider issues an official letter of release
  • The provider ceases to operate, loses its registration, or is under some government sanction.
  • A government sponsor believes it is in the student’s best interest, and has communicated this in writing.

In cases where an international student who has been studying elsewhere in Australia applies for enrolment, the Admissions officer will check on PRISMS if student has completed six months in principal course.

Transfers from HC to Other Providers
If an international student enrolled at HC wishes to transfer their enrolment to another registered provider within six months of their commencing study at HC, the following process will be followed:

The student must request the transfer in writing. The request must be accompanied by a formal letter of offer from the new provider.

Reasons for the transfer – career pathways, study pathways or personal aspirations, quality or appropriateness of HC course, appropriateness of proposed course, student’s study capabilities.

Support services or other formal or informal support avenues – both at HC and the proposed provider.

The financial aspects of the transfer – refunds due from HC, fees at new provider, source of funds, changes to cost of living.

Accommodation, including their obligations and conditions in current accommodation, proposed accommodation when with new provider. Student must be made aware that if they are allowed to change provider they must leave HC accommodation, and under the terms of their Accommodation agreement.

Whether the student is under some form of intervention (either academic or behavioural) and/or in danger of being reported to DIBP

Immigration and visas – what actions they will need to take in relation to their visa.

The conditions under which a transfer will be allowed or declined.

The International Student Officer will make a decision to either allow or decline the transfer request. A decision to decline the request can only be made if it appears that the transfer is not in the student’s best interest. Factors that would lead to the conclusion that the transfer is not in the student’s best interest include:

The proposed course is not appropriate for the student’s career or study path, or personal aspirations, or appropriate to their study capabilities.

The transfer would leave the student in a precarious accommodation situation.

The likely level of support the student is likely to receive at the new provider is likely to cause distress, hardship or failure.

The transfer would cause or exacerbate financial hardship.

It is clear the student does not understand the nature or details of the course or the provider they propose to transfer to.

The student is seeking to avoid being reported to DIBP.

The combination of training, financial, social, accommodation and personal factors would likely cause or promote personal hardship for the student

If the proposed transfer is not detrimental to the student, or a result of unethical recruitment practices, then the transfer is to be allowed.

Within 10 days of the student’s initial written request interview, the International Student Officer will issue either:

A letter of release. This letter must also advise the student that they must contact DIBP to confirm visa arrangements. The letter must also include a withdrawal form, along with instructions, for the student to complete in order to receive any refund to which they might be entitled.

A letter advising that the request for transfer has been declined, explaining in detail the reasons why. This letter must also advise the student of their rights to appeal the decision and the process they follow to lodge an appeal.

If the student has already completed six months in their course of study with HC, then they can transfer without receiving a letter of release. They will still need to go through the normal Withdrawal process.